Day to day soldier life ideas?

For discussions about the "Godlike" setting and general WWII.

Day to day soldier life ideas?

Postby Grendel_Prime » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:42 am

My players really enjoy Godlike and the setting as it is significantly different from any other supers game we`ve played. Currently the PCS are "Desert Rats" with the LRP, doing scouting and minor "piracy actions" against the Italians prior to Operation Compass.

One thing (of many) that I really liked in Black Devil`s Brigade, was the "these are the things the PCs may be tasked with" (running rations or ammo, moving wounded, messengers, Patrols) and was wondering if anyone had ideas or a good source for what the day to day non-combat life of a solider in the Desert campaign would entail?
Grendel_Prime

Re: Day to day soldier life ideas?

Postby Gustav » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:30 pm

The desert war was a lot about logistics in a land with few and roads and a key part of that was ofcourse supplying water along with petrol and chow. So tasks realted to logistics might be finding water, carry water/food/fuel, try to get vehicles moving that have been stuck in the sand, beg, borrow and/or steal petrol for their vehicle(s) and the like. There were also a lot of recovery work, retrieving damaged vehicles of both allied and axis origin for salvage. In addition to this there were the usual engineering tasks like building fortifications, roads and airstrips, clearing and constructiong minefields and probably a hundred more things that I don't know of.

Besides fighting the axis the soldier also fought flies, dysenteria and heat while trying to survive on a small amount of water.
//Gustav
Gustav

Postby Grendel_Prime » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Gustav wrote:The desert war was a lot about logistics in a land with few and roads and a key part of that was ofcourse supplying water along with petrol and chow. So tasks realted to logistics might be finding water, carry water/food/fuel, try to get vehicles moving that have been stuck in the sand, beg, borrow and/or steal petrol for their vehicle(s) and the like. There were also a lot of recovery work, retrieving damaged vehicles of both allied and axis origin for salvage. In addition to this there were the usual engineering tasks like building fortifications, roads and airstrips, clearing and constructiong minefields and probably a hundred more things that I don't know of.

Besides fighting the axis the soldier also fought flies, dysenteria and heat while trying to survive on a small amount of water.

I've got most of these, although the idea of recovery missions completely skipped my mind. I'm mainly looking for something to use in downtime, while the PCs are waiting out the days between actual combat missions. I'm going to generate a sort of "things to do" chart with varying degrees of "god this job sucks-itude" so that unlucky PCs (or those who draw the ire of their commanders) can get the shit jobs. Before being shipped to Africa, they enjoyed sort of a privileged life but their new immediate CO dislikes Talents and nothing says "you're nothing special" like giving the guy who can rip a tank turret off with his bare hands latrine duty.
Grendel_Prime

Postby Gustav » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:34 am

Found this site among my collection of links. It is the story of the 21 battalion from New Zealand. Some of the chapters details there exploits in Libya and Egypt. Most of the text details combat ofcourse but not all, so I think it might be useful or you.

http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-WH2-21Ba-c5.html
//Gustav
Gustav

Return to "Godlike" Setting