Saipan, the first days

Discussions about published Godlike scenarios such as "Donar's Hammer," "One O'Clock Wake-Up" and "Saipan".

Saipan, the first days

Postby Gustav » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:23 pm

I finally got to run Saipan this evening, or at least the beginning of it. It has been a long time since my last go at Godlike and it was really nice with lots of fun. I had three players, two of them new to Godlike. We quickly made 50 will point charcters since I wanted them to last a little longer and the players were learning the game system as we went through the character generation. Since we were eager to start actual play the characters background write-ups were limited at best.

A short summary of the characters powers:
The characters are/were Crpl Smith: Hyperbody 7D, no levererage no upward limit, nervous habit - must scream with a high pitched voice. Base Will 18.
Pvt Wiggles: Insubstatiality 7D, No sink,base will 18.
Pvt Jones Jr, Telekinesis 2HD, psychic artifact 2HD, base will 13.

This is what happened (don't read this if ou are to play the scenario) :
We ran through shiplife quite quickly but with a lot of ship-life descriptions. With 700 GI's onboad they found it strange that they must take the worst watch so often and so on. Running the scenario with little alterations the players soon found themself on the command post on the beach , for the first time smelling the stench of decaying bodies and the sights of real war. Faced by a mortar and two machineguns They promptly decided to try to cross the beach to the left where they had to run the shortest distance in the open before reaching the jungle. Pvt Wiggles went insubstantial and started to cross the open area in a moderate trot to conserve his breath. He managed to draw the japs attention giving the Jones and Smith one round head start before the japs changed targets.

Smith ran screaming across the beach passing Wiggles using his high body stat. He dived into the jungle before the japs got any good shots at him. Pvt Jones managed by luck and the other characters distraction cross the open strecth without beeing hit. I used 4d+2d spray and didn't roll any hits for two rounds.

After they had rested half a minute they set out along the tree line looking for the first MG nest. I called out for several stelth and sight rolls and the Jones saw the MG nest before the japs noticed the advancing team. Using his telekinetic powers jones then silently placed a grenade above the MG team. After the grenade exploded there was a short firefight and the mg team was put down but they had a small surprise left. When Jones and Wiggles (who had turned insubstantial) entered the nest a badly wounded japanese soldier lying on his belly pulls the sprint out of a grenade as the marines enters the nest. The insubstantial Wiggles took no damage but Jones was hit by a fragment in his right leg, and one hit his helmet. He also to shock damage from the concussion of course. Smith who had been taking cover in the jungle went to the nest after it had been cleared and picked up the MG and some ammo for it. Wiggles took a sword from one of the japanese soldiers and Jones picked up two remaining grenades as well.

Finding a trail leading into the jungle they decided to follow it to see if they could locate the mortar. Failing his stealth roll the leading Cpl Smith ran straight into three waiting jap soliders that had heard him comming. Before he could react was hit by three bullets in his chest. Using 4D for each soldier i had a pair of 7, a pair of 8 and again a pair of 7. He was instantly killed, becoming the teams first casualty, Bad luck. The game continued as the Smiths player started to make a new character.

As soon as the firing started Wiggles turned insubstantial and started to run towards the japanese force, drawing all their atention and bewildering them as the bullets kept going through their targets. After he had passed the soldiers he went back to normal trying to attack them with his sword. Not beeing very good at sword figthing he missed them. The next turn he missed again but now the japanese that had turned around used their bayonets, hitting him in his arm. Having found out that he was a lousy sword fighter Wiggles decided to turn insubstantial again. He managed to do that before the soldiers hit him again, getting a high set.

The japanese were now trying to hit Wiggles without a chance of success. Jones who had remained behind but had been reluctant to fire since a stray bullet could have hit Wiggles instead of its target now opened up with his Garand on the soldiers from behind. As the japanese were trying to cut Wiggles insubstantial body to pieces they were easily gunned down by Jones from behind. Not very heroic but effective.

After the two remaining marines had found their way back to the forest line the continued southward looking for the second MG nest. The located the nest without beeing noticed and pvt Jones who had taken som extra grenades from the first MG nest wired them togheter with some Psychic artifact wire and moved them through the air, exploding them above the three men in the nest. I decided that to grenades detonating in the nest would stun the japanese long enough for the players to easily take out any survivours. Wiggles dropped his garand in favour for the japanese MG.

Going south to find Col Kelly the characters ran into a Jap counter attack. After helping out with stopping the initial onslaught by assisting a gunner of an AT-gun by carrying rounds and using the captured MG to decimate a charge their driver eager to get out of the line of fire convinced them that thay had to continue south by an alternative road.

After a quick visit to the HQ and Col Kelly the team was sent out to assist in the attack of a ridge overlooking an airfield. They also got a replacement. Pvt Gates, s soldier who had manifested an ability to turn invisible while figthing the japs last night.

Reaching the foot of the the team found it covered in dark clouds and heavy rain that had turned the ground to mud. The team dodged bullets as they ran from the treeline to the base of the ridge. After a couple of unsuccesfull climiing tries (no one had any skill i climping) Jones went out looking for a rope. Dodging bullets again he found some rope. Using his telekinetic abiliy he manage to tie the rope to a tree at the top of the ridge after he had lengthend it by tying it to an invisible cable he had produced with his power.

During the now much easier climb the team was attacked several times. First by singel rifle armed soldiers who were easily taken out. Then the japs brought forward a MG that Jones managed to put in a slide with is power so it went down the slope and finally by a charge lead by the jap talent who had created the rain. While the talent sent a bolt of lightning against Wiggels the soldiers charged forward with drawns swords. Wiggles in turn turned insubstantial before the bolt hit him and Jones and Gates, now invisible, took a few shots at the oncomming japanese. The invisible Gates took out several soldiers with his rifle while Jones soon found himself wrestling a jap soldier as they both went sliding down the slope. Before that the solider had manage to hit Jones twice with a knife. One time in each arm.

Gates now targetet the japense talent with his rifle hitting him two times in a row killing him while he was locked in will contest with Wiggles. Wiggles who had plenty of will won the contest. The charge had now reached Wiggles and Gates, Wiggles turned insubstantial once again and put a rock inside one of the soldiers triyng to stab him. Meanwhile Jones won the brawling contest got out of the soldiers grip. The next turn Jones lifted his opponent up in the air and dropped him, breaking his neck. At the same time Wiggles who had gotten a grenade out tried to put inside his remaining opponent failed and dropped the grenade on the ground. Not so much a problem for him but for Gates who had to dive for cover! Gates got out of the way by throwing himself down the slope of the ridge.

The army therafter quickly took the field and the surrounding area. The players really liked Kellys idea of getting back to USS Fremont for a shower (they were all totally covered in mud and blood by now) and some rest. Hiking back to the beachhead on a truck they soon found out that the officer in charge was not letting them take a trip back to their ship as long as the fighting was going on. Not beeing able to convince the officer who called Gen Smith who instantly ordered the team back to the front he sent them back to the front. Not knowing what to do and somewhat bewildered the team started to walk north(!) away from the 27 the division.

At that point we ended the session. NOw I just have to figure out what is going to happen next. The team is out on its own and more or less AWOL by now...

That's all for now, hopefully we will continue the campaign soon.
//Gustav
Gustav

Re: Saipan, the first days

Postby Gustav » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:19 am

Guess I should have posted this under War stories, well, well...
//Gustav
Gustav

Postby Shane Ivey » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:28 pm

That's awesome. I love the sense of confusion at the end. I hope that was fun confusion for the players and not frustrating confusion.
Shane Ivey
Site Admin

Postby Gustav » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:34 pm

It's been hard getting the group together lately but yesterday two out of three player showed up alongside a new player. So I decided that the missing players character, Pvt Wiggles had caught some fever from his wounds, I'll come back to that. The new player had made a character named Jones creating some confusion in the group with two Jones. The new Jones was a superstrong (hyperbody 10d) and hard (HAR 3) very religious farmboy. He quickly got the nickname JesusJones to distinguish him from the original Pvt Jones.

Now to the action.
Pvt Gates, Jones and Wiggles still at the beach started to go northwards, with Wiggles getting a fever and getting worse the decided to find an aid station. The dropped him of there and Jones chest and arm wounds were properly dressed as well. when Jones and Gates were about to leave the aid station a jeep drives up and stop outside the station. A corporal steps out and approaches the privates. He explains that he has been sent out by Col Kelly who is doing his best to get them back, trying to avoid Smith's anger.

After a bumpy ride back to the airfield Jones and Gates find themselves back at the CP they left about 24 hrs earlier. A busy colonel gives them a day of to compensate for their lack of R&R at USS Freemantle. The next morning they are up for an inspection under the scrutinizing eyes of a Sergeant, Pvt Jones is immediately sent away to look for an replacement jacket and shirt since the one he is wearing is ripped and full of blood. It felt like I acctually managed to give the players a feel of the boredom soldiers endure most of the time when not i combat.

Late that night a truck arrives with letter from home and a replacement, Pvt Jebbediah Jones. The new pvt is thoroughly interviewed by Gates and Jones about their abilities, joking with him that they are more like gods than ordinary men and making fun of his religious views. They spend the night chatting in a tent at the CP.

The next morning the three man squad is sent out on a patrol. I ran the "village" scenario. With some luck Gates managed to succeed both his map reading (3d) and navigation (3d) roll so they started out in the right direction. After a couple of hours walking in the jungle the group stops as they hear steps coming closer. A native man approaches them pointing northeasthwards and shouting "japanese". The PCs all get very suspicious believing it is a trap. After a couple of minutes of fruitless communication (or rather lack thereof) Gates plays a little trick on the man. He turns invisible in front of him. The native man immediately starts to run away in panic - the pc' sdecide that it's not a trap.

Gates, still invisble cautiously sneaks in the direction the native pointed. With a minimum of luck he manages to avoid stepping on a mine (he rolled a pair of ones..) just before he locates four huts in a small clearing. Using his invisibility and stealth he slowly sneaks up to each hut to determine their inhabitants. Finding out that one is empty, one is occupied by two japanese soldiers and two of the huts beeing occupied by a native family and two soldiers each, he sneaks back to his two friends to decide upon a plan.

This takes some time and lots of discussion relating to how to deal with the natives and how to best attack the village. The plan came out as follows: Gates will sneak up to one of the huts being occupied by both soldiers and a family and position him close to the hut's only window so he could quickly attack the soliders. "jesusJones" and Jones will stay in cover, jesusJones covering the other hut with a famliy and soldiers inside with his rifle while Jones creates some grenades and a piece of rope. He will then tie the grenades together and using his power move them to the hut containing only two soldier, detonating the grenades inside or close to an opening.

Unfortunately I haven't got time to finish the story today but I'll continue as soon as possible
//Gustav
Gustav

Postby Gustav » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:18 am

Sorry for keeping you waiting... played again last night so I thought I should finish my story from last game night first.

The little plan the PC had come up with went quite flawlessly. Gates turned invisible (quite useful that talent) and sneaked towards the leftmost hut. Jebediah took up a position covering the rightmost hut containing soldiers (and a family). Then Jones telekinetically lifted two bundled grenades into the hut containing two soldiers quickly taking them out. At the moment Gates hears the grenades go off he peeks into the window finding himself face to face with a Japanese soldier trying to look out.

Since Gate is invisible he has the upper hand and fires his rifle at the soldier at point blank range – and misses! the bullet hitting the wall on the other side of the hut. At that point the japanese soldiers in the hut realizes that someone is firing at them and start to give covering fire out the window. Gates decides to take another shot despite the bullets coming through the window and this time he hits one of the japanese soldier in the belly, incapacitating him. Feeling that his invisibility is about to fade away, Gates dives for cover.

Meantime at the other end of the village the two japanese soldiers in the rightmost hut decides to charge outside. This put them straight into the aim of Jebediah who fires and hits the first soldier in the right arm. Jones also takes a shot and rolls a double 10 - headshot instantly killing the soldier. The second japanese soldier is no match for the well aimed rounds of Jones x 2 as he charges at them. During the same time Gates has turned invisible again, when he hears no more gunshots he peeks inside the nearby hut again. To his amazement Gates sees the last japanese soldier peering out of the door then take a step back and end his life with his sword

The group cheer as the plan worked as good as they had planned but remembering what happened earlier when Jones almost got killed by a grenade detonated by a wounded japanese soldier they cautiously disarm the wounded and dying japanese soldier. Not knowing what to do with the wounded they just leave them where they have fallen after a short arguing and try to find their way back. With a lucky (3d) navigation roll Gates easily finds his way back to the camp before nightfall. Deserving some rest, with Jones still being wounded the little squad gets a few days of in the camp.
//Gustav
Gustav

Postby Gustav » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:38 am

Into the Valley of death...

After som well needed rest the SIS team is ordered to embark on a truck going north. Arriving at the Colonel's new CP they get a short briefing and are sent northeast toward B company’s CP. Finding their way through the vegetation they find Captain Prout looking ocer some maps. He immediately sends them a couple of hundred yards further to the northeast toward first platoon and the front. Cpt Prout orders them to help the pinned platoon and get them moving. There are sounds of fighting to the north and the east.

The group cautiously follows the track that lead towards 1st platoons position. They find the platoon hiding behind some coral outcroppings, while the sergeant is observing the ridge to their left in his binoculars. The sergeant quickly orders the SIS team to take cover, explaining that the Japanese fires at anything they spot moving through the valley. The platoon has not been able to locate the position of the japanese soldiers firing at them. The fire is coming from the left ridge though.

Private Gates decides to try his luck on sneaking closer to the left ridge while invisible. To the amazement of most soldiers he turns invisible and start to sneak towards the ridge. Reaching the bottom of the ridge he starts to follow it looking for signs of the Japanese. It doesn't take long before he finds the cave where the japanese are hiding. The trampled undergrowth gives it away. Again testing his luck he sneaks in front of the cave which is located somewhat above the bottom and hurls a grenade towards the opening - and misses! The grenade goes of alarming both the japanese and the americans of his whereabouts. The japanese cannot see him however so the start to pour fire in all directions in front of the cave.

Gates ducks and run towards the american lines with bullets flying all around him. For a brief moment of time his invisibility wears of before he manage to turn it back on. The smoke from the grenade and the firing gives away the location of the cave to the observing sergeant and to Jones who has created a pair of binoculars for himself. Gates manage to get back unscratched but the platoon is still 150 yards away from the cave that offers great protection for the japanese who are still able to fire at anyone who tries to move away from cover.

Now Jebediah decides to demonstrate his powers for the first time picking up a grenade and saying "I can throw that far". He hurls the grenade with great speed towards the cave. When it's obvious that he is not going to hit the cave Jones uses his telekinetic ability to steer the grenade the last few meters. The grenade goes of inside the cave - instantly killing everyone inside (double shock for enclosed area and i rolled a pair of 10's on my hidden area roll!)

The platoon sends out a four men with a flamethrower to check the cave while the others are ready to give covering fire. The team reaches the cave without problem and decides it better to be sure so they ignite the flamethrower and gives a long burst inside. The smell of burnt flesh combined with the horrifying sight when they look in afterwards is to much for some of the soldiers who throws up.

More later - have to go GMing again.
//Gustav
Gustav

Postby Gustav » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:39 am

I ran Scene 7 straight out of the book so the next thing to happen as the team and the platoon was moving forward was a friendly fire accident. A couple of soldiers got hurt by shrapnel and Jones got one in his leg. Jebediah was also hit but his Heavy Armor protected him from any injuries. The sergeant sent back the wounded soldiers while the rest moved further to the northeast along the bottom of the valley. When they approach a small patrol hunkering behind some outcroppings the soldiers start to wave frantically.

The platoon hurries forward trying to reach cover but not fast enough, one soldier is hit badly wounded in the chest. The rest dives for whatever cover they can find. The sniper keeps firing as soon as anyone sticks his head up to look. Gates uses his invisibility again, standing up searching the hillside for the sniper. As the sniper fires again he manage to locate him. Gates carefully takes aim but the sniper is quicker wounding another solider in the chest, twice, before Gates gets of his shot. Apparently it's a hit as the sniper dives back into the cave. The medic start to tend for the wounded but the soldier hit twice in his chest is to badly wounded to be saved.

Jones and Jebediah together with three soldiers start to make their way toward the cave while the rest of the platoon is lying on over watch. Reaching the hillside they realize that the 6-7 yards climb up to the cave will be very hazardous, even without a japanese sniper inside. Jebediah fixes his bayonet and takes a leap, reaching the cave without problem. Inside the cave the wounded sniper is waiting, starting to fire his pistol as soon as Jebediah enters the cave. The bullets rip holes in Jebediahs uniform but bounces of his super though skin as he charges forwards striking down the japaneses soldier with several bayonet strikes. He emerges from the cave covered in blood.
//Gustav
Gustav

Postby Shane Ivey » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:26 pm

Sounds nice and brutal. Have you heard any feedback from the players?
Shane Ivey
Site Admin

Postby Gustav » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:01 pm

It's been pretty brutal yes. I'll go through the rest of what happened in the valley of death before I'll answer your question since we played the entire valley of death during one game evening.

The players became more and more cautious and aware of the Japanese tactics so before they set out again two soldiers were sent out a head of the platoon to act as scouts. After they had spotted the Sherman tanks Gates again used his invisibility power to get close. Close up he noticed that the bow gun was moving in its ball mount as if someone was scanning the area. Not knowing if the men inside were american or Japanese he climbs the tank and knock gently on the hatch and quickly jumps down. After a while a japanese solider stick out his head trying to get a view of what is going on. Having identified the enemy Gates returned to the rest of the platoon and his friends.

After quite some discussion about what to do next they decide on that Gates should borrow one of the flamethrowers and head back, hoping that the hatch is not locked from the inside. Again turning invisible he heads back and once more climbs the tank. Quickly he pulls on the hatch witch to his reliefs opens; he then pours burning napalm into the interior. He shouts for the others to come forward. No one care to look inside the tank remembering the horrifying sight in the cave earlier, but the smell of burnt flesh is still there.

Investigating the other tank wrecks they establish a rough idea from where they must have been fired upon. A scouting team soon found the cleared firing lane of the AT-gun. The platoon split in two to make an encircling maneuver. The SIS team went in front of one of the groups scouting ahead. Rolling equally high on their sense+sight rolls the japanese and the team observed each other at the same time at about 25 yards range. Gates decided to go invisible which he managed while Jones dived for cover. Jebediah decided to be more aggressive and charged the japanese.

The japanese decided to concentrate their fire on Jebediah but soon found out that the bullets only made small holes in his uniform so they put on their bayonets and charged back. It soon became messy as Jebediah cut up the Japanese defenders with his bayonet while they stabbed at him without effect. Jebediah killed all the defenders except one that Jones managed to hit with his Garand as he was trying to turn the AT-gun around to face the apparently invincible Jebediah. None of the americans were wounded and they had not fired a single shot being afraid to hit Jebediah.

After a discussion about what to do with the AT-Gun they all agreed that they couldn't take it with them so it should be destroyed. Jebediah once more showed his tremendous strength when he easily made the barrel into a nice curve with his hands.

The SIS team decided that they should take the point when the march continued, unfortunately no one saw (all three failed their sense+sight roll) the Japanese squad lying in ambush. The Japanese took the platoon and the SIS-team by surprise immediately injuring two soldiers before anyone could react. All three talents were attacked by one Japanese soldier each but no Japanese managed to hit any of them.
The ensuing fight was short and brief as the drunken Japanese was quickly defeated, however one more soldier was lightly wounded during the fight. After having tended to the wounded the platoon went looking for a place to spend the night.
We ended that night game session there. The platoon and the SIS team was quite successful clearing out the valley of death not loosing more than a handful of wounded and one soldier dead but the fighting had been intense and in close quarters and often with the bayonet. Gates invisibility talent had been very useful for locating the enemy without being seen. Jebediah’s HAR 3 and hyperbody had really made the day as he had defeated more enemy soldiers in hand-to-hand combat than the rest of the platoon and his teammates had managed to defeat together.
During the after game discussion one player told me that he really hat gotten the feel of the terrors and horrors of war and the others agreed. That is one of the feelings I always have wanted to convey to my players and it felt great that I had succeeded in that. I hope I will be as successful in conveying the situation for the civilians to my players as we get to those parts.
//Gustav
Gustav

Postby Gustav » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:40 pm

It has been a while since last time I wrote. We have played twice more before christmas so I will try to write it down what happened during those two sessions from memory.

After spending the night in the jungle the team head towards the 165th command post joining a company of Marines that had gotten somewhat lost. The team taking the lead did not recognize that the marines waving ahead were actually Japanese wearing captured uniforms so they wandered straight into an ambush. The first rounds from the machineguns instantly killed the radioman and another marine and the 20 mm piece almost blew Jebediah’s arm clean off, Despite his hyperbody and heavy armor he was left with only one shock left.

The surviving marines and the team went for cover in the jungle. Any attempt to locate the Japanese was met by a fusillade of gunfire. Jones therefore created a periscope with his power and created a meshbody whereupon a clad a uniform. He the used his telekinetic power to move the “body” towards the Japanese while observing the firing positions of the enemy. Having located the enemy’s position they were now trying to find a way to deal with them. Even Jebediah with his Heavy Armor was reluctant to get out in the open and the jungle around them was far to hick to cut their way through.

They finally agreed to try an old idea used before, Jebediah would hurl grenades in the general direction of the enemy and Jones would steer the grenade with his powers so they would land in the correct place. Jebediah cleared an opening in the jungle and used a compass to throw grenades in the correct direction. This worked fairly well but Jones had trouble locating the grenades as the went through the air so only about half of the thrown grenades landed on the enemy.

To be sure that all enemies were disabled Gates used his invisibility to sneak all the way to the Japanese well concealed position and back. Finding that one machinegun was still manned he sneaked into the jungle fearing his power would wear of without him succeeding in turning it on again. After sneaking back he gave some directions to Jones and after a few more grenades the last Japanese position was taken out but to the cost of most of the company’s and the team’s grenades.

This took most of the day so the team had to settle for another night in the jungle. With a native family stumbling into their position and Japanese running around in the jungle nobody did got much sleep. Some marines were close to breaking but Jebediah used his superhuman strength when nothing else worked to keep them from firing and revealing their position.

The next day the team said goodbye to their fellow marines and returned the last mile or so to their CP. Instead of rest they found the smoking ruins of the CP, destroyed by an artillery attack just half an hour earlier. With a new commander replacing the injured Kelly the team was immediately sent out to look for a lost squad. The team sat out muttering about their lack of sleep and being half dead from injures already.

Following the tracks of the lost patrol the team soon ran into the remains of a Japanese field hospital, the ground littered with dead, dying and seriously wounded enemy soldiers. By now the PC were almost paranoid about wounded enemies, believing every one of them to be a potential booby trap. Thus the team decided to work their way around the hospital. (they later heard rumors about how the first squad entering the hospital suffered severe casualties from grenades hidden among the wounded.)

After locating the position of the lost patrol, hiding in their foxholes opposite a well camouflaged Japanese position. After making contact the team crawled then ran like hell to reach the cover of the foxholes. Even with the presence of three superhumans the squad was reluctant to take do anything but take cover in their foxholes. Unable to locate the Japanese Gates turned invisible and went scouting. About 100 yards from the foxholes he stared into the eyes of a Japanese solid who apparently tried to locate whatever he had heard but couldn’t see. Standing absolutely still Gates tried to get a view of the Japanese positions and strength before he very slowly started to retreat.

Once again Jones used his create power to create a grenade, this time a really oversized pineapple grenade weighing about 5 pounds. Using his telekinetic power he moved the invisible grenade toward the approximate location of the closest enemies. The oversized grenade went of with a tremendous bang destroying one machinegun and injuring several soldiers. The team quickly followed up with a charge led by Jebediah.

Jebediah quickly disabled another machinegun the Japanese struggled to get into position by jumping almost 30 yards before landing on it, crushing it in the process. After a short close combat fight the Japanese decided to run for it since it seemed impossible to hurt their adversary Jebediah. Jones and Gates forced the other Japanese to take cover behind the gun shield of their field howitzer but they were soon incapacitated or fleeing since most of them lacked any useful weapons against Jebediah’s heavy armor. Having routed the enemy the team securely led the lost patrol back to friendly lines. Creative use and combination of the team’s different powers had once more proven very successful.

Finally, the SIS team was able to get some rest and medical attention for all their injuries. A week later the now rested and (almost) healed team was put back in action, this time to help a pinned platoon of marines to recapture the village of Flores point that the Japanese had managed to retake in some way.

We have played that part as well so I will write that down as well as soon as possible.
//Gustav
Gustav

Postby Shane Ivey » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:58 pm

A direct hit from a 20mm cannon will Bust You Up. That guy's lucky he had all that arm-saving armor.

Thanks for posting the write-up!
Shane Ivey
Site Admin

Postby Gustav » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:15 am

Retaking Flores Point

After a week of rest and medical care the SIS team was rushed back into action. This time to help a platoon of marines to retake Flores Point, a sea plane base recaptured the Japanese by a sneak attack. A jeep drove the team to the vicinity of the base and the team made contact with the marines in the early hours of the day. Observing the village from a distance the talents discovered that he plane had an aura just if it was built by another talent.

As the early morning fog changed into a heavy rain Jones used his create power to create a tarpaulin to cover their observation point. Not being able to observe any Japanese movements Gates turned invisible and sneaked towards the nearest build hundred yards away. Slowly walking around the base trying to locate as many Japanese positions as possible Gates caught a glimpse of a talent working on the plane before he returned to the observation post to report. At the observation post a simple plan then took form; first the talent should be taken care of by the SIS team, then the base should be cleared by the marines.

Gates picked up his trusty Garand and turned invisible once more. Slowly he made his way back into the base to find a good firing position from where he could se the enemy talent. He found a good spot close to the demolished air traffic tower not knowing that a sniper was hiding inside. No-one had so far not noticed him, being invisible and the heavy rain do make sneaking pretty simple. Before taking careful aim he worried a bit about his invisibility duration under stress, (It would obviously take him more than 2 combat rounds to get out of the base), then he rolled his dice - 2x10 headshot! instantly killing the unaware Japanese talent. He then carefully started to sneak away rolling his six invisibility dice every other combat round to stay invisible.

Of course the japs reacted quickly trying to locate the firer and shouting to each other giving Gates a better idea about their whereabouts for a later attack. The Japanese had to roll quite well on their sense+sight/hearing roll to detect the invisible Gates and no one succeeded. I kept rolling for a while and Gates had to roll his invisibility probably 15-20 times before he finally could run the last yards back to the waiting marines. Incredibly he didn't fail once so the Japanese never even got a glimpse of what had hit them. I calculated that the possibility to roll six dice 20 times, getting a match on every roll is less the 5 % so Gates was lucky. Had he turned visible inside the base quite a few jap soldiers would have been able to get a good shot at him before he got out.

With the japanese talent out of action the marines begun clearing the base from enemy opposition. Gates knowledge of most enemy position and the demoralizing effect of their leader being killed helped the marines somewhat, still I decided that they took 8 casualties, three dead and five wounded, since the talents didn't participate during the retaking but merely observed from a distance.
//Gustav
Gustav

Postby Gustav » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:42 pm

Sorry to keep you waiting.
Here comes a somewhat lengthy report of what happened during the first parts of the night of the great gyokusai attack.

After receiving information about the upcoming Japanese attack the SIS team started to plan their defenses. Scrounging some aviation gas from the demolished Japanese plane they poured it out across the road some fifty yards north of the village, hoping to put some of the advancing enemies on fire. Not knowing the direction of the attack fire teams took up position covering all possible advances towards Flores point. The SIS team and the marine’s commanding officer took position inside the remains of a warehouse in the northeastern part of Flores.
As anticipated the Japanese direction of attack followed the road southwards. In the darkness of the night the attackers were heard long before they could be seen. To get some light Jebediah threw a Molotov cocktail igniting the fuel across the road. The fanatic attackers didn’t care much about the flames jumping through them. But the flames gave the defenders an unexpected advantage, the attackers dark silhouettes against the fire made them easy targets for the defenders fire.

With their fire teams spread out all around Flores they still had a hard time holding back the oncoming human wave. At first the heavy fire from the BARs from tree fire teams positioned to cover the road coming from the north stopped the attackers nut each time the BAR gunners had to reload (after three combat rounds of continuous fire) the attackers came closer.
The Japanese had more trouble firing accurately at the marines still s stray shot (I used the cover fire rule for them) from the Japanese hit the BAR assistant gunner west of the road early on and another round hit Gates in the head. His helmet saved his life but he lost his consciousness. The marine lieutenant decided to leave his position inside the house to replace the badly needed BAR assistant. Running across the open he fired his carbine hitting three enemies as he went. (Again I used covering fire, got a set and tree out of six Japanese soldier rolled the same number!

Still the attackers came closer. The pillbox was attacked by some ten Japanese soldiers. The fire from the BAR gunner and his assistant reduced the Japanese squad but when the BAR had fired the last round in the magazine three attackers were still standing and the position was overrun by the japanese, killing the gunner and injuring his assistant.
The rest of the surviving attackers headed for the command post and Jones and Jebediah. The first Japanese that reached the building turned into a super quick (hypercoordination) Gaki-talent and went for Jebediah wielding his sword. I made a random roll to see whom he would attack. It is quite evident that Jones wouldn’t have had a chance to defend himself if the hypercoordinated Gaki had attacked him instead of Jebediah.

The Gaki had no problem hitting Jebediah but with all his heavy armor he only had a slim chance of really injuring him. A roll with width of five isn’t that easy to achieve even with 8 ND + 1 HD + 1 WD in coordination. Jebediah on the other hand had a hard time hitting the Gaki with his 10 (14) ND in hyperbody + brawling since his hypercoordination reduced the width of all attacks by two. A hit by Jebediah with all the extra damage from his high body on the other hand would be devastating for the Gaki attacker.

While the Gaki started to reduce Jebediahs uniform to pieces the remaining Japanese advanced into the ruins of the building. Jones hid away in the darkness so the five Japanese entering the ruins joined the fight against Jebediah. Jebediah fought furiously taking four actions at the same time (with all his dice he still rolled the maximum 10 dice) hitting three of his attackers sending them flying across the ruins while the Gaki kept cutting up Jebediahs uniform.

Another four Japanese soldiers entered the building noticed Jones and flung themselves at him with swords, clubs and knifes. One of them manifested a power at that moment, getting hyperbody 8d. Jones and the drunken attackers were all equally useless at close quarter fighting with no-one hitting anything. The newly manifested Gaki on the other hand had no problem in hitting Jones, almost tearing his arm of.
Jebediah noticing Jones precarious situation flung the remaining ordinary soldier away and started to make his way over to Jones while the Gaki kept slashing at him. The next second Jebediah had reached Jones and quickly disabled the remaining four normal attackers. At the same time the hyperbody Gaki kept pounding poor Jones, this time hitting him in the chest.

Just as the hyperbody Gaki was about to finish Jones, Jebediah managed to get his hand in the way disrupting the Gaki’s attack and breaking the Gaki’s arm in the process. The fight between Jebediah and the hypercoordinated Gaki went back and forth for a while as no-one was able to injure the other. After a couple of combat rounds the Gaki had a lucky roll hitting Jebediah with an attack of 5x6 cutting through the heavy armor. The damage wasn’t enough to take out Jebediah though and it didn’t take long before he too got a lucky roll with enough width (4) to hit the attacker. That was all that was needed to disable the last Japanese attacker.

More later on the following attacks.
//Gustav
Gustav

Postby Gustav » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:33 pm

The rest of the night...

The second wave of attackers came directly from the north along the beach line. An alert sentry identified that something was going on in the groove north of Flores point. Raising the alarm everybody started to fire into the groove. Not being able to see anything the marines wasted precious bullets without hitting anything.

The Japanese attackers quickly charged the seaplane base and overran the westernmost fire team who had to retreat. Then the attackers were all over the place, especially running around in the lumber yard. The marines started to fire with everything they got but didn’t score many hits on the attackers. Gates who had regained his consciousness turned invisible and started to sneak around in the lumber yard as well. Sneaking up on his targets and taking sniper shots at the Japanese taking out quite a few.

Meanwhile Jebediah had turned his attention to the southern edge of the lumberyard trying to prevent any Japanese from exiting the yard since the marines had put up their first aid station close by. Unfortunately even the hyper-bodied Jebediah couldn´t run fast enough to take out all the attackers who came through – one Japanese soldier managed to take out the marine medic before Jebediah could stop him.

Once more Jebediah was a vital part in all the hand-to-hand fighting in the close quarters taking out more than one third of the attackers singlehandedly. The attack caused only one casualty and some minor injuries but leaves the marines badly short of ammunition so the player characters hand out whatever they have left. Especially Jones and Jebediah, relying mostly on their powers for fighting, have a substantial amount of ammo for their Garands left.

The last staggering attack of the night, just before daylight, was easily beaten of by the determined defenders, but they spend their last supply of ammunition doing so. Only one attacker reached the marine’s position, an insubstantial talent armed with a sword. Once again Jebedaih rushed forward to protect his allies. After a moment of fighting Jebediah realized that he could not harm his opponent so he went for the sword instead. At the next trust against him he grabbed the sword by his hands, breaking it in the process and taking some minor damage to his arms doing so.

The attacks havdonly caused a few deaths among the marines but about half of them are more or less injured, including Gates and Jebediah and they have almost no ammo left at all. Gates along with the rest of the injured marines were taken to a field hospital during the first hours of sunlight while Jones and Jebediah headed to the CP located somewhat inland from Flores point.
//Gustav
Gustav

Postby Gustav » Mon May 18, 2009 12:01 pm

The last session was a great anticlimax but also one of the best.

With Gates at the field hospital Jones and Jebediah were sent out to support a company trying to find a lost company which had disapeared under strange circusmtancesy. Following the trails of the company they came across a number of soldiers both friendly and enemies that apparently had taken their lives. Stumplig upon a seemingly deserted village and the remains of the lost company they positioned the company at the perimeter of the village and moved in.

The scared native talent reacted as soon as he saw Jones and Jebediah screeming his scream of death. Gunshots and exploding grenades turned the talents' attention to their fellow soldiers at the perimeter. Most of them dead by now. There was much bitternes as the players reminded themselves that the CO of the company acctually had asked if they shouldn´t fall back a cuople of hundred yards while the talents scouted the village.

In anger the Jebediah killed the native talent with his superstrength and there wa acctually grief and sad feelings as the player characters felt that they had caused the death of more than a hundred fellow marines.

I really liked the ending. Even if the characters survived except one KIA and one WIA plus one in sick leave(The player didn't have time to play anymore) and everything had gone their way more or less the players didn't feel they won or succeded particulary well. It is a very strong ending and it is really thematic, the often quite abstract horrors of war got a little bit more real. The feeling that there is no real winner fits perfectly in a war theme.

Hope you liked my reports.
//Gustav
Gustav

Next

Return to "Godlike" Adventures