Same Height, Same Width (and other rules questions)

For rules questions and house rules.

Same Height, Same Width (and other rules questions)

Postby shatterspike1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:17 am

I recently purchased Wild Talents and I'm planning on running a game of it soon, but a few questions have come up when I started making characters...

I'm sorry if I'm asking a very obvious rules question, but when do actions that have rolled the same height and width go in combat? Do they go at the same time? If not, how is it determined which action goes first?

In the sidebar "Foolish Mortals" next to the Invulnerability power in the miracle cafeteria, it mentions bringing someone with 10 hard dice in invulnerability to zero willpower would decrease the effectiveness of the power, but the Permanent extra says that running out of willpower or base will doesn't effect the power that has permanent on it. Clearly, the black hole trick works no matter what, but should Permanent be applied differently in this case?

Is there any specific way to model a miracle that gives other people superpowers? So far I have two different methods on two different characters: one is a drug lord who creates drugs that grant superpowers but fade when the high does, and the other person has an infectious extra-dimensional space that transforms people into creatures, granting them permanent superpowers. Is it just a matter of taste on how to model these?

These are the questions that have come up so far, and I'd greatly appreciate any answers.
shatterspike1

Re: Same Height, Same Width (and other rules questions)

Postby shatterspike1 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:59 pm

Another thought occurs...

If I'm not taking the Always On (-1) flaw, why would I ever take Permanent (+4)? I could easily take Endless (+3) and Native Power (+1) for almost exactly the same effect, except Nullify wouldn't affect my power and my power would not continue past my death. Would running out of Base Will affect my power for the Endless + Native Power (which only says when running out of willpower, not base will), when it explicitly says it doesn't for Permanent powers?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
shatterspike1

Re: Same Height, Same Width (and other rules questions)

Postby Shane Ivey » Mon May 06, 2013 3:42 pm

shatterspike1 wrote:I'm sorry if I'm asking a very obvious rules question, but when do actions that have rolled the same height and width go in combat? Do they go at the same time? If not, how is it determined which action goes first?

I generally say they're simultaneous. If that's not feasible, come up with some other tiebreaker. Coordination, maybe, or else the size of the dice pools.

In the sidebar "Foolish Mortals" next to the Invulnerability power in the miracle cafeteria, it mentions bringing someone with 10 hard dice in invulnerability to zero willpower would decrease the effectiveness of the power, but the Permanent extra says that running out of willpower or base will doesn't effect the power that has permanent on it. Clearly, the black hole trick works no matter what, but should Permanent be applied differently in this case?

I haven't looked it up to confirm, but that sounds like me screwing up when I wrote that sidebar. Go with the rules over the example.

Is there any specific way to model a miracle that gives other people superpowers? So far I have two different methods on two different characters: one is a drug lord who creates drugs that grant superpowers but fade when the high does, and the other person has an infectious extra-dimensional space that transforms people into creatures, granting them permanent superpowers. Is it just a matter of taste on how to model these?

There is a LOT on one take on this subject in Progenitor. Also in eCollapse, IIRC.

It mostly depends on the GM and the way you've decided superpowers work in your game world. Basically you have a Useful power that grants character points that can be spent on archetype and powers. If they're hard to come by, maybe put on a mandatory Willpower cost, or even a mandatory Base Will cost if they're REALLY hard to come by.

Would running out of Base Will affect my power for the Endless + Native Power (which only says when running out of willpower, not base will), when it explicitly says it doesn't for Permanent powers?

I don't have time to dig through the rules at the moment, sorry :( , but I think that's the crux of it.
Shane Ivey
Site Admin

Return to "Wild Talents" Rules