Rules questions (mostly about manipulating stats or Aspects)

Discussion and new characters and powers for BETTER ANGELS, the supervillain RPG.

Rules questions (mostly about manipulating stats or Aspects)

Postby Salindurthas » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:38 pm

After reading the book and playing a few sessions, there are a details that my friends and I didn't quite know for sure. We have a decent idea, but I was hoping for a few clarifications or discussions about how these scenarios work exactly.

1. When the Demon provides a Master Die to a task, does the tactic slide before or after calculating the pool?
  2. When a Demon argues for a Sinister tactic/strategy increase, are they limited to a single increase per scene?
  3. When a Demon argues for an increase, can they increase a member of a pair totaling 7 (effectively sliding a point from Virtuous to Sinister) (say, can Greed increase from 3 to 4 if Generosity is already 4)?
  4. When the host argues for a Virtuous slide, do they need a point in the Sinister counterpart (e.g. If I have zero Corruption, must I first gain some Corruption before I can argue for gainning Nurture)?
  5. When taking multiple actions with different pools, how do you determine a pool if one action could change the advantage for the other (e.g. when using Summon or Psychic Object to get a weapon, if I want to also attack with that weapon in the same round I might not know which pool is lower since I don't know the size of my attack pool.
  6. The Ghost Form aspect lists Cunning as its associated Strategy, but the rules scale off Devious (and Cunning seems irrelevant). Is there some typo there?
  7. Demons choose when to activate an Aspect, but once it is active do they retain any control over it (e.g. Once Ghost Form is active, who flicks it on and off? Once any aspect is active, which party chooses when to deactivate it?
  8. Finally, if a Hellbinder gets to 5 dots in the Demon's primary strategy at an awkward time, say during a fight (either verbal or physical), the Demon immediately must attempt to "Drag [the host] to hell". Is it true that this could be really hilarious?
Salindurthas

Re: Rules questions (mostly about manipulating stats or Aspe

Postby Shane Ivey » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:04 am

Answers from Greg Stolze:

When the Demon provides a Master Die to a task, does the tactic slide before or after calculating the pool?

After.

When a Demon argues for a Sinister tactic/strategy increase, are they limited to a single increase per scene?

One per scene, correct.

When a Demon argues for an increase, can they increase a member of a pair totaling 7 (effectively sliding a point from Virtuous to Sinister) (say, can Greed increase from 3 to 4 if Generosity is already 4)?

Greed can increase in that instance, but Generosity would have to drop. At that point, yes, increases become slides.

When the host argues for a Virtuous slide, do they need a point in the Sinister counterpart (e.g. If I have zero Corruption, must I first gain some Corruption before I can argue for gainning Nurture)?

Yes, you can’t slide from nothing.

When taking multiple actions with different pools, how do you determine a pool if one action could change the advantage for the other (e.g. when using Summon or Psychic Object to get a weapon, if I want to also attack with that weapon in the same round I might not know which pool is lower since I don't know the size of my attack pool.

If it’s getting too complicated, I’d recommend just ruling that you can’t stack them up into one action. In the Psychic Object example, summon it one round, roll to use it the next.

The Ghost Form aspect lists Cunning as its associated Strategy, but the rules scale off Devious (and Cunning seems irrelevant). Is there some typo there?

It should be Cunning in every instance, not Devious.

Demons choose when to activate an Aspect, but once it is active do they retain any control over it (e.g. Once Ghost Form is active, who flicks it on and off? Once any aspect is active, which party chooses when to deactivate it?

Once an Aspect is active, the mortal controls it. As for who switches it off, that’s left unaddressed (to my embarrassment). I’d recommend (1) let either partner switch it off once it’s on or (2) decide which of the two has the power to do so and make that crystal clear and consistent. It could work with mortal only or demon only, but it should be the same one every time for everybody.

Finally, if a Hellbinder gets to 5 dots in the Demon's primary strategy at an awkward time, say during a fight (either verbal or physical), the Demon immediately must attempt to "Drag [the host] to hell". Is it true that this could be really hilarious?

I think so. I mean, it’s not like the approach of a Strategy hitting 5 takes one by surprise very often.
Shane Ivey
Site Admin

Return to Better Angels